How can the SAP architecture support digital business transformation?
Blog | Frank Luyckx, Enterprise Architect and integration manager & secretaris van de Focusgroep ADM
11.12.2017 09.32 CET | Digitale Transformatie
Digital transformation (e.g. IoT, Industry 4.0, Block chain, Machine
learning, Artificial Intelligence, Data science, Augmented reality,
Robotics, Drones, Self driving vehicles) is top of mind for many IT and
business professionals. Many companies are starting digital innovation
projects and digital innovation centers managed by business leaders. The
impact and integration of the digital innovation projects on the
existing (SAP) architecture is not always part of the project start
architecture and can cause integration issues during the project and
application life-cycle. Therefore the (SAP) architect should be part of
the digital innovation center to support digital transformation.
On 25 January 2018 the VNSG is organizing the seminar 'How can the
SAP architecture support digital business transformation'. During this
seminar companies like; Philips, ERIKS, Friesland Campina, Tata Steel,
Agrifirm, Corbion, Dutch tax office, Post NL, SAP, Schneider and AKZO
explain how they improve their (SAP) Architecture or execute their
digital business transformation program.
The objectives of this seminar are:
- Give an overview of the capabilities of an integrated (SAP)
Enterprise Architecture and show that E2E processes are essential for
the alignment, testing and monitoring of applications, interfaces, data
integration flows and E2E reporting to improve operational excellence.
- Provide the latest info on; SAP solman, SAP Business Objects &
digital boardroom, SAP Hybris, MDG, SAP cloud and integration platforms,
SAP PPM and the SAP Business Transformation Management Methodology.
- Give examples of innovative digital technology projects (e.g.
Mendix, industry 4.0), provide insights how to manage a digital
innovation center and the central role of the (SAP) enterprise
architecture in the bi-modal digital project portfolio.
- Make clear that business model innovation management together with
the (SAP) enterprise architect should align the priorities within the
digital business transformation project portfolio.
Structure of the seminar
The VNSG seminar has the following 4 tracks:
1. Enterprise Application Management;
How can I improve and maintain the E2E (End to End) business processes,
what applications do I need to support the required functionality and
how can I integrate the (cloud) applications with each other and the
2. Enterprise Information Management;
How can I build of a solid foundation of trusted (master) data, which
will be the basis for improved management reports and quality of
decision making. This enables (real-time) performance analytics in
boardroom dashboards which can be input for the evaluation of new
3. Business Transformation Management;
How can we improve the business models and customer value propositions,
what innovation projects can we justify to extend our capabilities and
how can we optimize the results and support of the projects.
4. Digital Transformation Management;
How can we align the bi-modal mode-1 (stable systems of record (e.g.
SAP)) and mode-2 (systems of innovation (e.g. Mendix)) projects. How can
we manage the innovative projects in a digital innovation center. What
is the impact of digital disruptive innovations on the daily operation
and the future of the industry.
The following picture gives an overview of the seminar agenda and the presenters:
The seminar agenda is based on the Enterprise Architecture
Framework of the ADM focusgroup, more information is available in the
following blog; (How can Enterprise architecture support digital
The day will start with a key-note presentation from the global
innovation lead (Arne Eindhoven) from Schneider Electric (25 BN Euro,
144.000 employees). Arne will focus on the approach and lessons learned
implementing a global business innovation center.
After the key-note presentation there will be 4 parallel tracks with 4 presentations.
Track 1 = Enterprise Application Management
- ERIKS uses BPM for; Application support, integration of innovations,
business process and organizational improvements and roll-out of their
SAP happy template.
- The Dutch tax office uses the application rationalization
methodology of Gartner (TIME) for the optimization of their application
- Post NL has decided to move all application platforms into the private cloud, using SAP cloud and integration platforms.
- The new SAP Solution Manager focused insight add-on offers
extended possibilities to manage the performance of E2E processes.
applications and interfaces. (presentation from SAP Waldorf).
Track 2 = Enterprise Information Management
- SAP is internally using the digital boardroom dashboards to manage
the business strategy and to analyze the impact of business model
- Tata Steel has defined an EIM (Enterprise Information Management)
roadmap and a data and reporting quality strategy to support the
business transformation program.
- Fabory maintains Product, customer and vendor data within multiple
applications (e.g. MDG, SAP Hybris, DAM). The E2E data management
processes are essential to maintain the quality and consistency of data.
- Friesland Campina is using a daily business and process performance
dashboard to monitor the departments and identify the LEAN business
Track 3 = Business Transformation Management
- Corbion optimized their business model and defined the Target
Operating Model (TOM) as the basis for their global business and SAP
- Within Agrifirm the SAP PPM platform is used to manage the
commercial project portfolio within the S/4 HANA implementation project.
- Tata Steel is using the SAP Solution Manager to implement ITSM for
test & issue management and CHARM to support their business
- ERIKS is implementing a global EAF (Enterprise Architecture
Framework) to support (SAP) project portfolio and the business
Track 4 = Digital Transformation Management
- Philips global innovation center is responsible for the BI-modal
project portfolio. The enterprise architect within the agile team is
responsible to identify the mode-1 and mode-2 applications and the
alignment within the (SAP) architecture.
- Capgemini Applied Innovation Exchange department helps clients to
explore the possibilities of improving their business models by
leveraging new technologies like Virtual reality, Robotics and IoT.
- Friesland Campina is using the new technologies to implement the
Industry 4.0 vision and the integration within the project portfolio.
- AKZO is defining the digital innovation portfolio and the digital
enterprise architecture to align the possibilities of the new disruptive
The day will be closed by a key-note presentation of SAP Business
Transformation Services, they will explain the digital business
transformation vision and plans of SAP.
The enrollment for this seminar is possible via the website